#WritersResist is a network of writers with international reach that works to defend the ideals of a free and just democratic society. After the election, poet Erin Belieu posted on Facebook, "We will not give in to despair. We will come together and actively help make the world we want to live in. We are bowed, but we are not broken." The subsequent call for writers to organize around the world on January 15 has resulted in over fifty events organized around the theme #WriteOurDemocracy.
In Chicago, the Loop's Open Books host the central event, with same-day events in Hyde Park, Pilsen, Humboldt Park, Logan Square, River West, Albany Park/Old Irving Park, and Evanston.
Full schedule of readings:
- Noon - 3:00 pm LOOP Open Books in the West Loop (651 W. Lake St.)
- 1:00 - 3:00 pm RIVER WEST Woman Made Gallery (685 N. Milwaukee Ave.), “Inauguration: Affirmation, Empowerment & Resistance"
- 2:00 - 4:00 pm PILSEN Flor del Monte (1951 West 22nd Pl.)
- 2:30 - 4:30 pm ALBANY PARK/OLD IRVING PARK Café Urbano (4176 N. Elston Ave.)
- 4:00 - 6:00 pm EVANSTON Bookends and Beginnings (1712 Sherman Ave., Alley #1)
- 6:00 pm LOGAN SQUARE Cole's Bar (2338 N Milwaukee Ave.), SPEAK UP/WARM UP to Benefit the Logan Square Neighborhood Association, 21+
- 7:00PM HUMBOLDT PARK La Bruquena (2726 W. Division St.)
- HYDE PARK TBA.
- All events are free and open to the public.
For more information visit www.chicagowritersresist.info or follow them on Twitter at @ResistChicago and @writeRdemocracy.